Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Eighty Four Year Old Model Ship Maker, Cagliari Sardinia

model-ship-maker-studying-his-plans


Through the castle district of the old streets of Cagliari, Sardinia  the late afternoon was turning in to early evening as dusk fell upon the narrow streets of the ancient town, an open door aroused our curiosity and inside stood a grey haired man studying what appeared to be plans to a ship.



Finest of details

His eager eye tracing over the lines and studying the text, glancing towards the door he realized he had an audience. My friends who are native to the island asked if we may come in to take a few pictures of his workshop and how he worked. The Model Ship Maker was thrilled to share his story, with a big smile on his face he declared "today is my birthday, I am eighty four years old and this is my life and my passion. There is no better way to spend my birthday, I am here doing what I love."

model ship maker at work


As I watched the old man he was oblivious to the sound of my shutter capturing images of him working      the eighty four year old model ship maker, whose passion was clearly seen in his creations of perfection, so intricate is his work so painstakingly accurate are his brush strokes and his attention to the finest of details amazed me.

The skills he learned through the years, skills and work ethic passed on to him by his father so many years ago. As the model ship maker worked he explained how everything had to be perfect to the finest detail, this man was not driven by the financial rewards of his creations he was driven by the challenge and passion of creating these masterpieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment